Starting from August 20th, a new perspective on international travel opens up for Romanian teenagers aged between 16 and 18 years old. The implementation of the provisions of Law 274/2023 brings with it the possibility for them to travel abroad without the need for companions. However, this opportunity comes with certain conditions and regulations designed to ensure the safety and smooth conduct of their autonomous journeys.
An important change in rules for traveling minors
This legislative project aims to establish a framework for international travel for minors aged over 16, in accordance with current rights and responsibilities. Until now, Romanian legislation required all minor Romanian citizens to be accompanied by an adult, regardless of the situation. However, it is observed that there are cases where adolescents need to travel alone for various reasons, and this legislative project precisely aims to create a legal framework that reflects this reality and provides them with the opportunity for autonomous trips.
Essential details to remember
According to the new law, border police authorities will allow Romanian citizens who have reached the age of 16 and hold an individual travel document or an identity card to exit Romania. They can travel without the accompaniment of an adult, provided they present a notarized declaration. This declaration is signed by both parents or, in special cases, by the parent to whom the minor has been entrusted by a final and irrevocable court decision, by the parent exercising sole parental authority following a similar court decision, by the surviving parent, or their legal representative.
Specific rules to follow for minor travelers
The Law 274/2023 brings not only the opportunity to travel abroad without companions but also specific conditions for certain situations. For instance, adolescents aged between 16 and 18 can leave the country to visit relatives, participate in official competitions, or receive essential medical treatment for their health. This regulation reflects the various needs and situations in which teenagers may find themselves, ensuring their complete safety at the same time.
The role of the notarial agreement in the travels of minors
The notarial declaration represents a key element in this process. Within this declaration, essential information will be specified, such as the purpose of the journey, the destination country or countries, the duration of the travel, and, last but not least, the consent of the parents or legal representatives of the minor for this autonomous journey. This not only ensures the safety of the minor but also reflects an important step towards autonomy and responsibility.
Validity and required documents for traveling
An important aspect is that this notarized declaration is valid for three years. Moreover, it’s essential to note that this procedure is necessary even if the parents are not married. In this regard, the required documents for issuing the notarized travel declaration include the parents’ identity documents, the minor’s birth certificate, and their passport or identity card.
The benefits of the law coming into effect
- Closer International Experiences for Youth: Adolescents will have the opportunity to embark on international journeys independently. This provides them with a chance to learn more about the world and diverse cultures, thereby cultivating a broader perspective and deeper understanding of the globe.
- Development of Independence and Adaptability Skills: Autonomous travel will teach them to navigate through new and unfamiliar situations. Adolescents will cultivate skills for quick adaptation, problem-solving, and independent decision-making.
- Understanding Responsibility and Freedom: Minors will have the opportunity to better grasp the concepts of responsibility and freedom. They will be required to make decisions in their own best interest, thus learning how to manage their own responsibilities and choices.
- Supporting Education and Personal Development: This law will particularly benefit adolescents traveling abroad for studies or official competitions. As a result, they can develop their skills and knowledge in an international environment, opening up new opportunities for learning and personal growth.
- Promoting Innovation and New Opportunities: Adolescents will have the opportunity to explore the international environment from an innovative perspective. This can open the door to new opportunities for learning, collaboration, and networking.
- Improving Communication and Interaction Skills: Independent travel abroad can contribute to the development of communication and interaction skills in an international setting. Adolescents will learn to express their thoughts and feelings in a multicultural context.
- Understanding Rights and Responsibilities: Adolescents will learn to respect and understand laws and regulations in an international context. They will be exposed to various legal and cultural realities, which will develop their understanding of responsibilities and rights.
- Contribution to Personal Identity Development: Autonomous travel can play a significant role in the personal identity development of adolescents. It allows them to discover more about themselves, and clarify their values, and personal aspirations.
The skills developed during adolescence not only enhance the appeal of young people in the job market but also provide them with the necessary tools to successfully adapt to the demands of a rapidly changing economy and make significant contributions to the development and innovation across various industries. Therefore, investing in the development of these youths’ abilities will not only secure a more robust professional future for them but will also contribute to the prosperity and sustainable competitiveness of our national economy.
Safety and Preparedness
Before making the decision to independently travel abroad, adolescents and their parents should be well-informed and adequately prepared. It is crucial to have open discussions about the reasons for the journey, the destination, and its purpose. Additionally, depending on the destination, researching and understanding the culture, customs, and rules of the respective country can be beneficial.
Therefore, the enactment of Law 274/2023 represents a significant milestone in the evolution of international travel for Romanian adolescents. This law not only provides them with the opportunity for autonomous travel but also teaches them responsibility and respect for laws. Thus, they can begin to explore the world confidently, with the support of their parents and the knowledge that they have a legal framework backing them, guiding and safeguarding them throughout this unique and important experience in their lives.
Driven by passion and shaped by years of experience in global mobility, we’re ready to take the leap with you. Even if that leap means you’re bringing in your first employee from abroad, or you’ve already been through this process countless times.