For the past few years, people around the world started to wish for their jobs to become more flexible and exciting. They started looking for a way to enjoy the benefits of a remote job and also the ones of business travel, which lead to a new concept: the one of a digital nomad.
What does it mean to be a digital nomad?
Digital nomads can be freelancers, independent contractors, or employees who have the freedom to work and travel at the same time. Well, look at it this way: as a digital nomad, you become a modern-day explorer. By not being bound by a traditional office, you have the opportunity to travel to beautiful locations. All you need to do is have your laptop, tablet, or smartphone and a good internet connection.
Most common jobs as digital nomads
Along with the rise of this concept came an increase in the number of jobs suited for the digital nomad way of life. Today, these are the most common careers people choose from:
- Online Marketer; SEO Specialist, Social Media, and Community Manager;
- Graphic Designer;
- IT and Web developer;
- Vlogger, blogger, or podcast host;
- Online teacher;
Being a digital nomad in Romania
Digital Nomads can obtain special visas that allow for longer stays than traditional tourist visas. The best part? You can work independently and remotely, giving you the flexibility to explore Romanian culture, learn a new language, and enjoy a lifestyle that suits you.
Romania is one of the best countries in Europe for digital nomads to live in. The country has a large and diverse economy, with strong industries such as IT, automotive, and manufacturing. The country’s strategic location in Europe and access to major markets also make it an attractive destination for businesses looking to expand their operations. Overall, Romania has been in a constant process of growth as a result of its diverse economy, well-educated workforce, government reforms, and strategic location.
According to the law that defines the status of digital nomads, the person applying for the visa must meet the condition of being present on the territory of Romania for a period or several periods that do not exceed 183 days during any consecutive 12-month period, which ends in the calendar year in question.
Why should you choose Romania for your digital nomad adventure
- Good internet connection – Romania is widely recognized for its impressive internet speeds, with an average broadband speed of 170 Mbps and a mobile internet speed of only 41 Mbps.
- Possibility to enjoy some beautiful landscapes – This country has it all: mountains with breathtaking views, green magical forests, lakes, rivers and beaches. So, if you are a nature lover, you can spend your free time exploring places near the city or cities where you will be living. You don’t even have to go that far to enjoy the peace and quiet of nature.
- Great architecture and culture – One of the most common reasons why people choose to live their lives as digital nomads is because they want to learn more about the culture of other countries. Well, Romania has multiple fun and exciting traditions and buildings that are filled with history and legends.
- A wide range of coworking spaces – If you don’t want to work from the place you are going to live in, there is a growing number of coworking spaces for you to use. This could even help you meet some new people and make friends.
- English is spoken almost everywhere – Don’t worry if you don’t speak the local language! Most people in Romania speak English, but also some other foreign languages.
What advantages will digital nomads in Romania have access to?
Along with the great lifestyle, people who will decide to stay and work here will have a few more advantages:
- They will be exempt from paying taxes;
- They will not have to pay social security;
- They will be exempt from paying health insurance contributions.
What do you need for obtaining the visa?
- Proof of employment;
- Identifying details of the company;
- Letter of intent;
- Proof that you are up to date with your taxes;
- Proof of a valid ticket;
- Proof of valid health insurance;
- Proof of earnings;
- Proof of accommodation;
- Proof of a clean criminal record.
In short, Romania should be on the top of your list if you want to enjoy work and be part of an amazing culture. The country’s strategic location, beautiful architecture, and diverse landscape along with simple legislative requirements make it an attractive destination for people who decide to leave their 9 to 5 jobs for the adventure of a lifetime.
Driven by passion and shaped by years of experience in global mobility, we’re ready to take the leap with you. Even if that leap means you’re bringing in your first employee from abroad, or you’ve already been through this process countless times.