5 steps for Transnational Secondment to Romania from a non-EU Country – Part 1: Immigration

If you are a business from a non-EU country that is planning to send employees on transnational secondment to Romania, it’s important to understand the immigration procedures involved. This process can be complex and time-consuming, but with the right knowledge and preparation, you can ensure a successful secondment for your employees. In this article, we will take a closer look at the steps you need to follow to obtain a work permit and a residence permit and to comply with tax and social security regulations.

What does transnational secondment mean?

Intragroup secondment refers to the temporary transfer of an employee from one company within a multinational group to another company within the same group in a different country. This type of secondment is common in the context of multinational companies with operations in multiple countries.

Transnational secondment can take different forms. One common scenario is the secondment under a service provision contract, where an employee is sent to another company to provide specific services. In an intragroup context, employees are temporarily assigned to different units within the same group. Another form is when a temporary employment agency assigns an employee to another company. These different situations of secondment demonstrate the flexibility and diverse arrangements that exist within transnational employment.

Step 1: Obtain a Work Permit

If you’re considering a transnational secondment to Romania, the first step you’ll need to take is to obtain a work permit. This permit is granted by the Romanian Immigration Office, and it’s a requirement for non-EU citizens who want to work in the country. 

To apply, the employer will need to submit a request to the Immigration Office, along with the job description and other necessary documents, like proof of employment and the police clearance certificate.

Step 2: Apply for a Visa

Once you’ve secured the work permit, the next step is to apply for a visa. The application will be made at the Romanian Consulate from the country of residence.

To apply for the visa, you’ll need to submit your work permit, employee passport, and other supporting documents. Keep in mind that the visa application process may take a few weeks or even months, so it’s important to plan ahead.

Step 3: Register with the Police

Within three days of your arrival in Romania, your employee will need to register with the local police. This involves providing personal and contact information, as well as the address of their place of residence. 

Step 4: Obtain a Residence Permit

After registering with the police, your employee will need to apply for a residence permit. This is issued by the Romanian Immigration Office and is necessary for non-EU citizens who plan to stay in Romania for more than 90 days. To obtain a residence permit, your employee will need to submit various documents, such as proof of employment.

Step 5: Comply with Tax and Social Security Regulations

As an employer in Romania, the company will be required to comply with tax and social security regulations. This includes registering with the relevant authorities, calculating and paying taxes and social security contributions, and submitting regular reports. 

It’s important to note that failure to comply with tax and social security regulations can result in fines, penalties, and legal issues. It is crucial to ensure that all necessary procedures and documents are in place to avoid any complications during the secondment.

In conclusion, transnational secondment to Romania from a non-EU country can be a complex and time-consuming process. However, with proper planning and knowledge, you can ensure a successful secondment for your employees. By following the necessary steps and obtaining the required permits and visas, as well as complying with tax and social regulations, everything will turn out great. If you need assistance with this process, you can contact the Nestlers Group.

Connect with Nestlers consultants

Do you need immigration and relocation services or consultancy?

It’s easy! Use the below contact form and one of our experts will provide you an answer as soon as possible.

Our consultants can help you in obtaining legal documents and can provide you with assistance regarding the immigration processes, relocation, taxes and payroll, Social Security (European forms A1, S1, U1, etc.) for your employees.

Please enable JavaScript in your browser to complete this form.