Transnational secondment to Romania from a non-EU country – Taxes

Hey there! It’s time for the third part of our thrilling series on Transnational Secondment to Romania from a Non-EU Country! This time around, we are going to talk about something super important when it comes to working abroad – taxes! Knowing the ins and outs of the tax laws and requirements in Romania is absolutely key to making your secondment a smashing success. So buckle up and let’s dive into everything you need to know to stay compliant and enjoy your time in Romania to the fullest!

Before sending any employees on a transnational secondment to Romania from a non-EU country, it is essential to have a crystal clear understanding of the immigration procedures, relocation, and the taxes that need to be paid! By being aware of the applicable taxes, employers and employees alike can ensure compliance with Romanian tax laws and avoid any potential legal or financial issues. 

This knowledge is crucial in accurately planning for the financial implications of the secondment, allowing both parties to navigate the complexities of the Romanian tax system smoothly. By understanding which taxes to pay, employers can provide their employees with accurate information and support, leading to a positive working relationship throughout the secondment period. So let’s make sure we all get on the same page and empower our team to have a successful transnational secondment experience!

Tax Residency

To effectively manage your tax obligations in Romania, it is important to determine your tax residency status. Under Romania’s territorial taxation system, residents are subject to paying taxes on their global income, while non-residents are taxed solely on their income sourced within Romania. Factors such as the length of your stay and the nature of your assignment will be taken into account when determining your tax residency status. Making sure you understand this aspect of Romanian taxation is critical in order to meet your obligations effectively.

Personal Income Tax

As an employer from a non-EU country sending an employee to Romania for a transnational secondment, it is important to be aware that your employee will generally be subject to personal income tax on their Romanian-sourced income. The current flat rate for personal income tax in Romania is 10% and applies to employment income, bonuses, and certain benefits. It is important to ensure that the correct amount of tax is deducted from your employee’s salary each month to avoid any potential issues with the Romanian tax authorities.

Double Taxation Agreements

It is important to note that Romania has signed double taxation agreements with several countries to avoid taxation twice on the same income in the transnational secondment process. These agreements provide mechanisms to eliminate or reduce double taxation and determine the taxing rights between Romania and your home country. Familiarize yourself with the relevant provisions of the agreement to ensure you take full advantage of any benefits, including employment income, bonuses, and certain benefits. It is crucial to ensure that the correct amount of tax is deducted from your employee’s salary each month.

Social Security Contributions

Another important aspect of the tax journey is understanding the fact that social security contributions may be applicable in addition to income tax. Both the employer and the employee are required to contribute to social security schemes, which provide access to healthcare, pensions, and other social benefits. It is essential for the employer to fulfill their obligation by deducting and remitting appropriate contributions on behalf of the employee. Therefore, it is important to ensure that your employer is fulfilling their obligations during your secondment.

Tax Reporting and Compliance

In order to remain compliant with the Romanian tax authorities, it is essential to report taxes in a timely and accurate manner. It is important to become familiar with the deadlines for tax return filing and any additional reporting requirements that may be applicable to your individual situation. Engaging a tax advisor may be beneficial in navigating the complex tax landscape and ensuring obligations are met. By keeping up with tax reporting, businesses can avoid penalties and other legal consequences.

Navigating taxes during your transnational secondment to Romania is essential to avoid any legal or financial issues. By understanding your tax residency, personal income tax rates, double taxation agreements, social security contributions, and reporting requirements, you can ensure compliance and optimize your tax position.

Remember, the tax landscape is subject to change, and it’s essential to stay updated with the latest tax regulations and guidelines. Consulting with a qualified tax advisor or engaging the services of a reputable accounting firm can provide you with the necessary expertise to navigate the complexities of the Romanian tax system confidently.

By proactively managing your tax obligations and taking advantage of available deductions and allowances, you can ensure compliance while optimizing your financial position. This knowledge will enable you to focus on your professional growth and make the most of your transnational secondment to Romania.

Remember, seeking professional advice from a tax expert experienced in international taxation is highly recommended to address any complexities and ensure you are making the most of the available tax benefits and allowances. With proper planning and adherence to the tax regulations, you can focus on your professional growth and enjoy a successful secondment experience in Romania.

Connect with Nestlers consultants

Do you need immigration and relocation services or consultancy?

It’s easy! Use the below contact form and one of our experts will provide you an answer as soon as possible.

Our consultants can help you in obtaining legal documents and can provide you with assistance regarding the immigration processes, relocation, taxes and payroll, Social Security (European forms A1, S1, U1, etc.) for your employees.

Please enable JavaScript in your browser to complete this form.